Monday, December 28, 2009

on a positive note

woo, so i guess i've got enough of the negative out to have a positive post.

i went to church Sunday, and somehow, i actually got to hear one of the talks in Sacrament while sitting in the foyer trying to keep the kids contained... the talk was about how we should stop measuring our lives and our success by our possesions, that we should not be of the world. and how easy it is to turn a want into coveting a certain item... and how we need to take a step back and see if our "needs" are really needs. none of our possessions will be taken with us when we die, so what's all the fuss about? and basically the lesson was, be aware of your spiritual needs and soon your temporal wants will fade.

anyhow, i am not really summarizing it correctly, but it was very powerful to me. it's easy to think about all that you don't have and how much you want, but we should take a step back to appreciate what we do have, and realize there are people who aren't so lucky living just a few miles away. i know i love to daydream myself, and i could go on and on about what i "want" or "dream" of doing/having, but then reality sets in, and i realize just how much of those wants will not happen, because they are not needs. and then i begin to think of how much money or time would go into something and is it even worth it? sometimes i can get wrapped up in what comes next and forget to take a moment and ask Heavenly Father what his plan is for me. i can get pretty off track sometimes, but i am glad that occasionally i can hear a talk or two that is "just what i needed to hear" to make me stop and turn back to the right path, doing the things i should be doing, not wasting time on the trival things that don't matter.

one thing that always helps me is hearing other people's predicaments that are worse than my own. one thing that will make you thankful for your problems is seeing some you are glad you don't have! oh yes, as much as i can hate the problems i do have, i am grateful for them. they have taught me valuable lessons, and made me a smarter person. so folks, be grateful for what you have for a second or two.

i am very fortunate to have found a hardworking husband, that the Lord blessed with a great job, and that we were able to get into a house so early. we really have it good amidst all the woes of financial stress, at the end of the day we really don't have anything to complain about. and far often than not, it's easier to look at the negative side of things (that's satan working on ya). so here's to being grateful for my trials and weaknesses!

1 comment:

Jolie said...

Nicely put! You guys are doing well with a few bumps along the way, which is only natural. My first house was in 2003 at age 32! And, I was grateful. I can admit I do get caught up a bit in "things", however, I have modified this fairly well over the years to things that me and my kids enjoy in the home. I have several acquaintances and friends but always a very busy schedule that has limited my "hosting" ability over the years. So, my treasures and such in my home are not for anyone but me and my kids. Your home should feel beautiful and comfortable to you...and feel like an escape from the world. Frankly, I would enjoy vacationing somewhere exotic as much as anyone, but a weeks vacation in the walls of my own comfortably decorated and "partially lavish" home buy my standards, would be fabulous!!! You have to take care of you so you can take care of everyone else! Destressing routinely helps you be more compassionate, kind, and adaptable to "issues" with you kids.....which keeps them alive! hee hee....jk. so Rock on lil sis.