Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A little more quality time with the kids

I suppose i sometimes get caught up in what i think needs to get done, that all day long the kids are left trailing after me trying to keep up and get my attention... and then i take a second to pause and realize my priorities are off yet again, and i see my two beautiful children and remember what my purpose is.

i ran errands earlier this morning, and i knew i wouldn't have the car, so i decided today i would catch up on the quality time with the kids. you know, playing with their toys with them, teaching them how to play, share, learn, etc. and catching those moments where you gasp for one of the kids did something you didn't think they could do (a good thing) and you think...when did they learn this??? where was i??

so i had 2 of those moments today. we have some chunky puzzles (wooden) and i saw daniel for the first time i noticed, put all the pieces in the right spot, the first try. he picked up a piece, studied it for a second, then put it where it went! i remember the last time we sat and did puzzles together (a few weeks ago) he had it all wrong and was trying to force pieces where they didn't belong...it made me so happy i cried a little! my little boy is growing up and he is getting so smart. he understands so much more than i give him credit for. he is such a blessing to me.

and the other moment was with kathryn. my mom came over to visit and spent the day with us at home, and the time came for kathryn to be done with movies and spend a little quality time with me . we put puzzles together (she is really good at it!) and we played matching games (she loves these, she is also very good at them). well, one of the matching games i created myself, is a "word" matching game. to help them get used to reading words. i wrote them out in my handwriting in an effort for her to get used to reading actual handwriting vs font type. well, anyway, i had good intentions...and granted we have only played this game 1 other time, (she has been watching a lot of Word World tho) when the word "duck" was revealed before my mom or i could say what the word was kathryn said "duck" my mouth dropped! wow! she has seen the Word World duck spell out so much that she remembered what it looked like? either way it was so exciting for me. then she started saying "lemme spell this word for you" as she proceeded to point and say each letter in order from left to right (after some guidance on where to start) what was even more cute was when she was spelling out "duck" (when i write fast my "c"s seem to curve up more than down) she said "D-U- (paused)-U-K" she thought my sloppy "c" was a "U" and it did kinda look that way! anyhow. she is developing her listening skills and comprehension quicker than i expected (i was bad at that as a kid) and it is so fun watching all this take place.

i love my little kiddos and they are my life, and i wouldn't have it any other way

No comments: