Sunday, December 20, 2009

i love my Kathryn

the joy of running out of eggs and milk is you have to get creative with breakfast. i almost always eat cereal for breakfast because i don't like to wait to eat... but the last 2 mornings, i've made banana pancakes. they are sooo good. and pretty quick and easy. and the kids gobble them up. even without syrup! this morning kathryn was watching me pour batter and she looked at me and said "thank you mommy for making me pancakes, i love them" aw, that's so sweet. and i gave her a big hug and told her thanks for letting me know she's thankful. then she told me she loves my bows i make, "they pretty" she says. it's so cute that she comes up with these compliments on her own! she is so cute. oh, and one more story, when we went into the ditch, and the cop came, he went back in his car after talking to us to do the paper work, and she walks over to him, peeks in his car and tells him "you not wearing you seatbelt! you need you seatbelt on, put you seatbelt on" haha, too funny, telling a cop to put his seatbelt on. he told her he will as soon as he gets ready to drive again. and he told her "thank you for reminding me to be safe, will you keep your family safe too for me?" "yes" i forgot to mention that little exchange. it made me smile.

something that struck me as funny, this morning since we weren't going to church, i put on christmas music. kathryn kept telling me she loved the jingle bell songs. so when a song would come on that wasn't jingle bells, she'd say "i don't like that one" but i would tell her "no, listen, this is what it's about", and she would say "oooh" and so the next song that came on was barum bum bum bum bum, which i knew as "neil diamond" although there are many versions...and i said that to kathryn, and she got really upset, and i said "no kathryn, this is a really good song" by that time the words to "little drummer boy" came on and so i try to start telling her what the song is about, but suddenly i get a choked up and i can't talk... so i try to clear up and tell her it's about a little drummer boy, but i can hardly finish before my voice cuts off and i start crying... yeah, kinda random, i know...and if i didn't know any better, this would make me wonder... but anyhow, i can't seem to pull myself together, so i go ahead and tell her what the song is about while i'm in tears... "it's about this drummer boy who sees the King is born, and he wants to give the baby Jesus a present, but he has no money, he's just a poor boy, so he goes and plays his drum for the baby Jesus and the baby Jesus smiles, see it's a good song! because we don't have to bring Jesus lots of presents, he just wants us to love Him, and follow Him and be good and nice to everyone!" imagine what kathryn must be thinking! my voice was getting that high pitch and tears were rolling...and she says "you like dat song mommy" "yes, i do sweetie" and she gives me a hug.

and so we started talking about Jesus and she ended with "i love Him!" it's neat to see them developing their reasoning skills. she seems to be doing pretty good this morning.

1 comment:

Jolie said...

Little ones are such gifts! It's really exciting when they can put their ideas into words. So glad Kathryn seems to be doing well. She has always appeared to have great intelligence and spirit behind those soulful eyes. I am glad for you. She is truly a remarkable child in so many ways. Hug her tight for me!