Wednesday, November 5, 2008

he knows where it's at

so i've been (for the most part) strickly breastfeeding Daniel, and just recently he has become very aware of where his milk comes from. to the point where when i catch his attention he will look me in the eyes smile, his eyes drift to my chest, then back up to my face and smile big...i think it's kinda funny, but i was trying to give him a bath, and i was resting my chest (fully clothed and all) on the side of the tub so i could reach him better, and he was sitting up and he kept reaching for my chest to pull my shirt open... and he'll do that when i have him on my lap and i know he's not hungry, he tries to pull open my shirt (if i'm wearing a button up shirt)...

my mother in law Corine said that this was the age that she would stop breastfeeding when they started to know where and how to get their food. i'd like to keep going with it, but i'm begining to wonder...if i go til he's a year, how in the world do you wean the off the breast?? it seems like at that age, they'll have it engrained in their head that that's where they go when they're thirsty. hmmm.... am i wrong? i haven't gotten to talk to a whole lot of mama's that have been this far or past this point BF. 

so on a quick side note...i volunteered to make my nephew's baby bedding and i had never done this before...a quilt sort of, but bumper pads no...and i must say...IT IS NOT EASY...making bumper pads that is. ok, so it isn't that hard, but when it comes to me, i tend to "teach" myself how to do things the hardest way possible. but i have one bumper pad out of 4 done and i must say...it is GORGEOUS! well, she couldn't make up her mind with what she wanted,so i chose for her! i chose green and brown (like a sea foam green) and an animal print, and i LOVE it. i'm almost jealous i'm giving it away! haha. when i finish all 4 parts, i'll take a picture and post them. 

4 comments:

Jamie Hamilton said...

I breastfed Allison until she was a year old but not exclusively (since I worked until she was 9 mo. old). She never really seemed interested in the chest area outside of feeding. I was worried about weaning her but I don't recall having any problems with it. By the time she was one, she was only nursing once or twice a day, so it wasn't a big deal.

thecaillouets said...

I ONLY BREAST FED BROOKLYN TILL SHE WAS 7 MONTHS. THEN I CUT HER OFF COLD TURKEY. SHE DID FINE ON FORMULA. SOPHIA CAN'T BREAST FEED SO NO PROBLEMS THERE. I MADE THE BEDDING FOR MY FRIEND LAKEESHA AND THE BEDDING AND CURTINS FOR THE GIRLS ROOM NOW. IT'S ALL JUST TRIAL AND ERROR, GOOD LUCK WITH IT

Jessica said...

there is a mom in my mom's group here in omaha that BFed until the boy was over two! she stopped because she is preggo again. it might be that he is just interested in your chest. i wouldn't worry about him making a connection. the omaha mommy said that the boy doesn't even ask about it now. maybe do some research and see what you feel in your heart is best, because things like BFing are very personal.

Jolie said...

breastfed all of my kids, some did better than others--Shelby had to stop at 4 1/2 months cuz her two new teeth cut me bad and I ended up with very bad case of mastitis, Carter had to be supplemented simply because he wasn't gaining enuf weight, phoenix stopped at about 3 months cuz it was just hard to do, pump, work, etc...i would say as my pediatrician said ...do as long as u can, want as long as baby is gaining appropriate weight--supplement when they don't--and don't think anything is wrong with u...some people have enuf milk to feed an army and some don't...breastfeeding of course is cheeper but not at the expense of ur baby's health. And these days formula is very very healthy--years of research have done that--good luck! awesome on the sewing--i hope one day soon I will have the time--i love it so! and I agree trial and error is best way to learn! luvs!