Monday, November 17, 2008

the boiling point

have you ever noticed how much energy it takes to stay calm when something really annoying or stressful is taking place? it seems to happen to me quite a bit with a toddler and a baby. i find myself taking deep breaths, trying to stop my impluses of screaming, or whatever else... but sometimes, i just don't have the energy, and i reach a boiling point. where everything boils over and i get outside to calm down before i do something i might later regret. it never fails that when that boiling point comes, and i finally calm myself down, i feel like i am utterly exhausted, winded, and light-headed... i guess all that adrenaline will do that. 

well, today was one of those days. i invited my friend Amanda over (with her boys Michael and Ben) and thought Michael would play with kathryn, and the babies would entertain themselves. and we could get busy on making diapers... kathryn just wasn't being very good. she was the one starting the trouble, and doing everything she knows she's not supposed to do...flushing the toilet paper down the toilet, throwing toys/things at the babies, throwing her books all over and, yeah, just generally trying to make a huge mess...i finally just gave up! timeout after timeout, and she wasn't getting it. oh well, we went out to feed the ducks, which calmed her down a bit, then once daniel fell asleep on the floor after finishing his bottle, Amanda decided her boys needed naps too, so she was leaving, and kathryn lost it, she started crying really loud, which woke daniel up, which made me mad (there goes my break, and now i have 2 crying kids) and kathryn wants to cuddle??? GRRR. she wouldn't stop crying after my best efforts of calmly trying to calm her down, so i boiled over, she went in her room, daniel back on the floor and i went outside... of course once i calmed down i felt like a terrible mother, and kept thinking i could've handled that better. so i cuddled with kathryn and read her stories to make it up to her and let her know i loved her. later on when she woke up from her nap...i can only conclude that she must have had a bad dream, because she would not calm down...i would coax her in to stopping the crying, but as soon as i would ask her what was wrong, she would start it up again. after about an hour of her screaming no matter what i said, i gave up, boiled over, and went to lay down in bed. i had a headache and i was out of energy to deal with screaming toddlers. UUUGH. but john got her to quiet down for a bit somehow, and held daniel too so that was nice of him. my friend Amanda let me know that i am not alone in feeling the way i do sometimes. that makes me feel better. to know that someone else goes through those exact same emotions with their kids. i'm not perfect, but i keep trying.

on an up side...daniel has 2 teeth now! i still haven't been able to get a very good picture of them, he hates when you put your hands on his face to prod at him...lol. 

oh yeah, and happy birthday lydia!

2 comments:

Jolie said...

Been THERE! Still go there alot! Recognizing when your reaching your limit is one of the best things you can do...leaving the room for a few minutes or outside is not neglectful...it's sometimes necessary...Somedays, alot of days, my kids absolutely will not listen, i am nice, talk softly, redirect, give time outs...etc...then I find myself yelling...and they move! I don't like it...but I made a deal with them if I have to go to yelling...the punishment is worse...more time or whatever. Most of the time its that the each just want one and one attention which is difficult to do...a friend told me to have them help with chores no matter how young...this seems to help, when I remember...seems like i have limited time to get chores and cleaning done...but if they help, it takes less time than it would for me to stop and discipline 40,000 times. And crying won't kill them. They go in their room, screaming, cying and throwing things sometimes....it's their room, their toys they may break, I tell them...and these tantrums cost them more time...it's annoying, but it works...put on some good music, ignore the tantrums (unless they are hurting themselves) and wait it out!

J Dub said...

Omi you and Lea-Lea need to get together and talk. Her kids are 13months apart, I can only imagine what you and her are going through. I can only compare it to 4 kids in nursery crying and only 2 assistants in there. I've got 2 and the other has 1 kid and one kid is left to just sit and cry. At least they are your kids that are crying and not someone elses. Just keep your cool like it seems you are doing and this too shall pass. Good thing these times are few and far between and many more good days outweigh these days/times. Love you!