Tuesday, May 12, 2009

donating blood

so i have always wanted to donate blood, but never found the right opportunity. i always thought it was the one thing i could easily give and it could save a life. that's pretty rewarding...

so i was going to walmart to get some sunscreen and milk just before we were to go to Foxy's and let the kids swim. on my way in, the guy holding the "donate blood" sign asked if i was willing, i said, maybe on the way out. i had kathryn with me, so i had to think about it...she isn't so great when i have my hands tied...

well, we got what we needed and on the way out i saw him again, and i said, is there anyone who would watch my daughter so i can donate? and he replied oh yes, there are plenty of girls in there who'll watch her for you while you save a life...

well that's nice. turns out, the nurses were all busy, and so it was multitasking trying to fill out paperwork and not let kathryn play with the bio-hazard box of whatever on the counter... then when i go to give blood...i was really worried, cuz i had to be reclined and kathryn was given a piece of cake and sat just opposite me on a chair watching me...and when i saw the gigantic needle they were going to get the blood from, i tried to think of anything else.

it wasn't hard, kathryn just about lost it when she saw the nurse rubbing the iodine all over my arm... i was trying to talk to her and calm her down, but when they poked me with the needle and all the blood started coming through the tubes and into the bag, she really lost it, she started to get out of the chair and i'm trying to tell her to stay in, and she wanted to take the needle stuff off...when the nurse caught her (a big black guy) picked her up and put her back on the chair...she just screamed at the top of her lungs, over and over. i tried to tell her it was ok, all she could muster was "mommy hurt, mommy has bo bo!" it was so cute to see she cared. i was supposed to squeeze this stress ball while they were taking blood, and every time i squeezed it, i could feel the huge needle, and it kept making me light headed, and i tried not to think about it, but toward the end, it was hurting and i had a hard time breathing,  i was dizzy, i couldn't hear, and everything was getting fuzzy. the nurse said i was done, and kathryn still screaming tried getting down again... i asked him if he could just put her up on me, he did, and she gave me a big hug and kiss and kissed my arm and said "fafie mommy" (which means "sorry mommy") she's so sweet and caring when it comes to people getting hurt. it certainly made me feel better, literally. in 5 mins i felt normal again, and was surprised i didn't pass out. i'll have to think twice about giving blood again. it was a bigger needle than i thought it would be and i hate needles...

but it helped having kathryn there to take my mind off of the giant needle sucking blood out of my arm! lol. 

1 comment:

Jamie Hamilton said...

Wow. You sure are brave. I don't think I'd be brave enough to bring Allison into a blood donation bus and try to give blood with her there. Kathryn is older but she's still a toddler. I'm glad you didn't pass out.